In this tutorial, I will show you how we can install the Codeigniter 4 project on Windows and MacOS.
- Enable extensions
- Manual Installation
- Using composer
1. Enable extensions
- Open the php.ini file to enable the intl and mbstring extension.
- Search for the extension in the file.
- Remove semicolon (;) if available to enable the extension.
- Restart the server.
2. Manual Installation
- Download the CodeIgniter 4 zip file here.
- Copy to htdocs/ folder and extract it.
- Rename folder (e.g. Codeigniter4).
3. Using composer
- Navigate to htdocs/ using Command Prompt when on Windows and using terminal when on Mac.
- Run the following command -
composer create-project codeigniter4/appstarter project-root
- Replace the project root with your project name as codeigniter4.
- Running the following command -
composer create-project codeigniter4/appstarter codeigniter4
- While running the above command if you get any error that means intl extension is not been enabled.
- To enable the extension follow step 1.
- Restart the composer create-project codeigniter4/appstarter project-root.
- A new codeigniter4 folder will be created.
- Run the project public/ folder.
- On Mac, if you are not able to see the webpage then we need to change the permission of writable folder.
- Navigate to the project directory using the terminal and execute the following command and restart the page.
chmod -R 777 writable
- You can also start a project by starting a local development server.
- Run the following command in Command Prompt if you are on Windows or terminal if you are on a Mac.
php spark serve
- Display of development URL after startup.
- Run - http://localhost:8080/ browser.
You can install it using the composer or manually. Before installing make sure the PHP version is 7.2 or higher.